Today I’m sharing a time saver dinner for two – Baked Spicy Salmon. Only 30 minutes to prepare and cook and this super tasty dish will be on your dinner table.
Baked Spicy Salmon is just a few ingredients – salmon, cilantro, sambal oelek and mirin, with a touch of salt and pepper. The sambal oelek and mirin are mixed together and poured on top of the salmon fillets and cilantro in a deep baking pan. Salt and pepper is added and then the seasoned salmon is covered in foil and baked for 15 mins. The juices from the cooked salmon is poured into a small saucepan. Vegetable stock and water is added and then thickened with cornstarch. A delicious dish in less than 30 minutes.
Trust me, once you try this dish it will be part of your rotation forever. What’s really great about this dish is that you can swap out the salmon and use almost any filleted fish. Just adjust cooking time as appropriate.
Baked Spicy Salmon is a great weeknight dish, but will also work great when you have friends come to visit. The sambal oelek gives great eye appeal, even after being cooked, and heightens the usual calm pink image of the salmon, so it’s pretty impressive when served.
If you enjoy a spicy kick to your food and haven’t experienced Sambal Oelek as yet, do so soon. It’s an Indonesian chili paste that works as a marinade, glaze, condiment, dressing – you name it. It’s dynamite, super tasty and so easy to use.
Baked Spicy Salmon is a real treat to the tastebuds, for a recipe so simple it’s quite remarkable. It works as a simple relaxed meal but also stands up to being served at a celebratory or holiday meal. Give it a try.
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 x 8 oz Salmon Fillets
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (stalks trimmed)
- 1/4 cup sambal oelek
- 1/4 cup mirin
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cornstarch of flour
- Deep medium-sized baking pan
- Small saucepan
- Place salmon skin down in the baking pan
- Divide the cilantro into two and push each bunch under each salmon fillet.
- Mix together sambal oelek and mirin, then pour over salmon.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over each fillet, then cover pan with foil and seal around pan.
- Place in preheated oven at 400 and cook for approx. 15 mins. Leave in oven another 5 mins if you prefer your salmon completely cooked through.
- Once salmon is cooked, remove from oven and drain away juices into a saucepan.
- Add water and vegetable stock to saucepan and place on a high heat.
- Allow sauce to heat through then thicken with flour by pouring a little sauce into the flour to create a thin paste, then add to sauce.
- Allow sauce to continue cooking for 1 minute before removing from the heat.
- To serve, pour sauce over salmon, and serve immediately.