It’s Labor Day Weekend folks, and I know many of you are planning gatherings with friends and family. A great way to keep their hunger at bay is to serve sliders. They’re usually my preference over burgers. They’re just a lot less cumbersome to eat, and you don’t feel overwhelmed at the prospect of eating them. So for this Labor Day Weekend why don’t you serve bourbon bbq sliders with coleslaw? They’re tremendously tasty.
Bourbon bbq sliders with coleslaw are a delight. Clearly an adult treat though. But never fear, skip the bourbon in the bbq sauce and they’re good for everyone, young and old. The bite size burger surrounded by sticky sweet sauce mixed with the creamy coleslaw will be a pleasure for almost everyone’s palate.
Bourbon bbq sliders with coleslaw are perfect for a crowd. 1lb of ground chuck makes eight sliders, you can double up on quantities to make twice as much.
You can replace ground chuck with your preferred burger blend if you like, but I really think the sauce and coleslaw in these sliders need a good quality burger blend that will soak them up but still hold together nicely. A generic burger blend is likely to either ward off the sauces completely or turn into a messy mush.
The same applies to the slider buns, a dense burger bun such as brioche or pretzel is what you need. I found my sesame seed slider buns at Trader Joe’s. Neither brioche nor pretzel, but they are quite thick with a somewhat fluffy texture.
If you reside in the US, I hope you have begun to enjoy your holiday weekend, and if you are looking for the perfect sliders recipe to share with your family and friends, then give this one a try, it’s just too tasty to ignore.
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup of bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp bourbon
- 1/2 packed cup green cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 packed cup red cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 packed cup carrots (shredded)
- 2 tbsp celery (sliced thin)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1lb ground chuck
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil as needed
- 8 slider buns
- Grill or grill pan
- Small saucepan
- Medium bowl
- Pour bbq sauce, soy sauce, maple syrup and bourbon into a small saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Stir ingredients while it slowly heats.
- Raise temperature just a little to allow sauce to begin to boil.
- Stir continuously until sauce begins to reduce and thicken.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place green and red cabbage, carrots, celery into a bowl and mix together.
- Add salt and pepper and mix once more.
- Add mayo and mix thoroughly until all ingredients are nicely coated.
- Cover bowl with cling wrap and store in fridge
- Divide ground chuck into 2oz portions, then gently mold each portion into a burger patty.
- Make sure the center of each patty is a little less dense than the outer edges. Just gently press down in the center with your fingers and thumbs while holding each patty in both hands. Do not overwork the patty.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then cook slider patties to preferred temperature.
- Set slider patties aside, loosely covered with aluminum foil to rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Grill the inside of the burger buns until warm on the outside.
- You are now ready to assemble sliders.
- Smear the inside of the bottom of each slider bun with 2 tsp of bourbon bbq sauce.
- Place slider patties on top, then smear the tops of each slider patty with another tsp of bourbon bbq sauce.
- Apply equal portions of coleslaw on top of slider patties and crown with the top of the slider buns.
- Serve immediately