It’s the season for comfort food, soups, hearty meat dishes and wholesome veggies, and what works really well with those dishes is a tasty topping. Today’s recipe is a great topping for those dishes, Cashew Parsley Gremolata. It’s a combination of toasted cashew nuts, chopped fresh parsley and lime zest. It’s delicious.
Cashew Parsley Gremolata, is a twist on the traditional Italian gremolata which is a mixture of parsley, garlic and lemon zest. Just like to today’s recipe, gremolata can be made with a variety of herbs and nuts and other fresh ingredients. If you’re feeling experimental, by all means, try your hand at creating one of your own.
I used raw whole cashews in this recipe, but if you cannot find them in your grocery store, use whatever unsalted variety you can find.
I am working on a Cashew Butternut Squash Soup and I created Cashew Parsley Gremolata to serve as a garnish. Let’s not forget though, that gremolata is good with all manner of dishes, not just soups.
If you’ve been following Diverse Dinners for a little while, you will know that I’m really big on fresh herbs. Fresh herbs provide character to a dish, herbs give its partner ingredients a lift, so to speak. By the same token, sprinkling a touch of Cashew Parsley Gremolata on top of a soup will do wonders for its overall flavor.
I’m a fan of herbs in cocktails too. Check out this Thyme Tequila Fizz.
Cashew Parsley Gremolata can be stored in the fridge for a few days, so feel free to make it ahead of time.
Cashew Parsley Gremolata
- 1/2 cup whole raw cashews
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Zest of 1 lime approx. 1 1/2 tsp
Equipment & Utensils
- Resealable bag
- Place cashews in a resealable bag and bash the cashews a few times to break them into pieces.
- Heat skillet on high and tip in cashew pieces.
- Toss the cashews until they are golden on all sides, then set aside to cool.
- Mix together cooled cashews, parsley and lime zest.
- Use as garnish when needed.