Spring has finally shown its face in NY so its time for a salad, chicken grapefruit and avocado salad. This season has brought some wonderful juicy grapefruit, I have been eating at least one a day for a few weeks now. But I’m getting bored of grapefruit segments as part of my breakfast so I tried my segments in a salad instead.
I love avocado – doesn’t everyone? I was surprised though how wonderfully avocado pairs with grapefruit, its fantastic, so I will be sure to make grapefruit and avocado appetizers during the summer months. If you need help with preparing the avocado, check out The Raw Chef, Russell James’ video for instruction.
I would describe this as a clean meal, raw ingredients topped with grilled organic chicken laced with a citrus vinaigrette. Heart healthy, nutritious and a boost to the immune system. What a joy, the tartness and juiciness of the grapefruit are the yin and yang of this salad. Serve as either an appetizer or a small plate. Perhaps the introduction to a diverse three course meal.
- 1 organic skinless boneless chicken breast (8-10oz)
- 1 grapefruit
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 avocado
- 1 peppadew (thinly sliced)
- Juice from grapefruit
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 scallion (thinly sliced)
- Pour juice of 1/2 lemon over chicken breast and then season with salt and pepper. Set aside while you peel and segment the grapefruit.
- To peel the grapefruit you will need a sharp paring knife or chef's knife. Use a beveled cutting board or plate that will catch the juices of the grapefruit.
- Slice off the top and bottom of the grapefruit making sure the flesh is exposed, then balance on one of the sides you just cut and remove the skin and pith using definite long strokes down the side of the grapefruit.
- Once the grapefruit is completely peeled check there is no pith left behind.
- To segment the grapefruit you will need a paring knife. Cut down along the side of the membrane on either side of each segment to remove the flesh and leave the skin of each segment behind.
- Once complete discard the skin and leftover membranes, pour escaped juices of grapefruit into a bowl and add segmented grapefruit pieces which should be cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Add juice from 1/2 a lemon, rice wine vinegar, agave and scallion, mix together thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat grill pan until piping hot add chicken breast and sear until well browned on both sides (approx. 8-10 mins each side) then place in the oven at 425 for 10-15 mins.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, place the arugula in your serving plate/dish.
- Then slice chicken breast into 1/2 inch pieces and place on top of the arugula.
- Cut the avocado in half and thinly slice one half, but do not separate each slice. Instead keep slices together and fan out the slices and then place avocado on top of chicken.
- Dice the other half of the avocado and add to your salad dressing mix and pour over salad.
- Scatter peppadew over top and serve.