I’m trying to find meals that will fend off my yearning for rib-sticking food, and I’m thinking kale might be of great help. I don’t think there is anyone who would argue with me when I say eating lots of kale is a good thing. Kale is filling, and when mixed with tasty food partners, it’s a great meal. Just like today’s recipe, garlic kale and farro salad. A delicious mixture of kale, farro, parmesan and pine nuts with a garlic dressing.
As the weather becomes cooler in New York, I worry that I might begin to lean on the comfort food crutch. I confess, I’ve already started. See my previous post – stewed oxtail. I have to do something to keep to a healthier diet, so prepare yourself for some tasty kale recipes this winter.
I was inspired by a very interesting feature on kale from HealthyLine.com – 26 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Kale. It’s a very detailed write-up on kale’s health benefits which I think you’ll find very interesting, so give it a read.
What I love about kale is that it’s very hardy, you can mix it up with your favorite salad components, add a tasty dressing, pop it in a air-tight container and it will be good for a couple of days. I didn’t need to share this recipe with my family and friends at all, I just ate it over a few days with tasty slices of roast chicken breast. It was so good.
Farro is a dynamite partner for kale, it adds another dimension and makes a salad even more filling. Farro also has great health benefits too, making this a mighty dish full of healing qualities.
Usually, when I add nuts to a salad I like build on variety in texture and eye appeal, but for this recipe I used pine nuts, which look very similar to farro. In essence the pine nuts are a tasty surprise which will likely fill your friends and family with glee.
You’ve got to give this garlic kale and farro salad recipe a try, its super easy, but very complex on the palate. If you share this with your family and friends, not only will you reap the health benefits but you will also rake in the kudos for creating a truly tasty salad.
Garlic Kale and Farro Salad
- 1 cup farro
- Bunch kale - red or green
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- Pinch salt if needed
- 1/2 cup parmesan shredded
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
Equipment & Utensils
- Large bowl
- Cook farro in slightly salted water as directed on the packet.
- Rinse in cold water, allow to drain and set aside to cool.
- Rinse kale and dry with paper towels, then remove from stalks and cut into thin ribbons.
- Place kale ribbon in large bowl and set aside.
- Place garlic, oil, salt and vinegar in blender and pulse until smooth, and set aside.
- Add parmesan and pine nuts to kale, then pour dressing on top.
- Mix ingredients thoroughly ensuring that all ingredients are coated with the dressing.
- Serve as desired.