Today’s recipe is lime laced brussels sprouts. Brussels sprouts sautéd in grape seed oil, doused in lime juice and topped with lime scented ricotta – yum!
Brussels sprouts are all the rage right now. You will be hard pressed not to see them on a restaurant menu these days. My family and friends have caught the bug, and they have become mine and my niece’s alternative to fries. So I thought it time to post another brussels sprouts recipe.
My niece and I enjoyed these lime laced brussels sprouts recently as an appetizer during our Good Friday dinner. It’s a great opener to a meal, but they can be served as a side dish also, the choice is yours.
If you’re watching your calorie intake, you can strip this recipe down and remove the ricotta, but I would suggest you halve the ricotta instead of removing it completely. Ricotta belongs in this dish, it quells the zing of the lime and charred leaves of the sprouts, bringing the flavors together. You can be a devil too and add bacon or pancetta, no one will know, and you will be transported to pork laced veggie heaven!
Lime laced brussels sprouts are so easy to make. I used a cast iron skillet to brown the sprouts on top of the stove and then finished them off under the broiler to char the outer leaves. If you don’t have a skillet that can go from stove top to oven, just simply transfer your sprouts after browning onto a warmed baking tray and you will get the same result.
So give my lime laced brussels sprouts recipe a try. I know you’re going to love it, and no doubt this veggie dish will make an appearance at your dinners for as long as brussels sprouts are trendy, and beyond.
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp ricotta
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Cast iron skillet
- fry pan and baking sheet
- Trim ends off brussels sprouts and remove wilted or damaged leaves.
- Cut brussels spouts in half.
- Rinse thoroughly, drain and dry off with a paper towel.
- Heat grape seed oil in skillet then add brussels sprouts.
- Sauté brussels sprouts until browned.
- Remove skillet from heat and transfer to broiler.
- Skillet should be placed at the highest point in the oven.
- Keep an eye on the brussels sprouts as they begin to char.
- Toss brussels sprouts to char all sides.
- Remove from oven and add lime juice and salt and toss.
- Top with ricotta and sprinkle with lime zest.
- Serve immediately.