I have another chicken recipe for you – panko crusted chicken sandwich. I seem to be in a chicken kind of mood of late, must be the cool breeze of an impending Fall in the air.
This panko crusted chicken sandwich is tasty, succulent, crunchy, and just plain yummy. Yes, that’s how I would describe it. It is all those things and simply a meal in a bun.
The panko crusted chicken is where the crunch and succulence take place and the arugula has that distinctive tasty peppery quality which works really well with the yummy roasted red pepper basil mayo on the side which is also liberally smeared on the bun before the chicken and arugula is added. This is all enveloped in a pretzel stick. It’s totally divine, and so good to look at. You know you enjoy food with your eyes before you enjoy food with your taste buds – right?
The pretzel stick is an 8 1/2 inch bun of splendor. I happened upon this wonderful bread when visiting Trader Joe’s to get a batch of pink Himalayan salt. It’s so tasty and holds together really well, even after being slathered with mayo and piled high with chicken and arugula.
This is another one of those recipes that is great on game days. Your guests can just pick one, or half of one up, in one hand, and keep it moving – no muss no fuss. If your guests are smart they can grab a beer or cheeky glass of wine with the other hand and bask in the glory of their choices, while they watch their team destroy their opponents.
My team, Arsenal, in London, lost against flipping Chelsea last Saturday. If like me, commiserating is the order of the day, this sandwich is your guy too.
So what I think I’m saying is – this panko crusted chicken sandwich works no matter the occasion or circumstance. Get one in your life.
- 2 6oz boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pink Himalayan salt, or any freshly ground salt, or kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 2 8 1/2 inch pretzel sticks
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 red pepper
- Drizzle olive oil
- 1/2-1 clove garlic
- 1 cup basil
- 3 tbsp mayo
- Baking tray and wire rack to fit
- Small baking tray
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat them with a paper towel until completely dry.
- Place them in a shallow dish or container and set aside.
- Mix together panko breadcrumbs, parmesan, oregano, garlic powder, black pepper and salt then scatter on a flat plate, board or container.
- Beat the egg well and pour over chicken breasts and then completely cover chicken breasts with egg.
- lift each chicken breast out of the egg, one at a time, and transfer to breadcrumb mix.
- Ensure both sides of each chicken breast is covered with the panko breadcrumb mix and then return chicken breasts to what is left of the egg and smother both sides of each chicken breast again until all of the egg is picked up
- Once again, transfer the chicken breasts to the panko breadcrumb mix. Make sure to cover both sides.
- Place breaded chicken breasts on a wire rack over a baking tray and then place into a pre-heated oven at 375.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden.
- Set aside once cooked and until red pepper basil mayo is complete.
- Cut red pepper in half and remove seeds and membrane.
- Place the two halves of red pepper in a small baking tray, cut side of pepper faced down, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in oven with chicken breasts on lower rung until the skin of the pepper wrinkles and starts to come away from the pepper.
- Remove from oven and allow red pepper to cool until you are able to remove the skin completely.
- (Leave the oven on - you will need to warm your pretzel sticks.)
- Once red pepper is peeled drop into the blender, add garlic and basil.
- Blend on lowest setting for 30-40 seconds or until ingredients are completely smooth.
- Place mayo in a small bowl and combine with blended ingredients.
- Place pretzel stick in oven for 1 minute or until warm.
- Remove from oven and cut pretzel stick in half, lengthways.
- Spread roasted red pepper basil mayo on the inside of both halves of the pretzel stick.
- Layer arugula on bottom half of pretzel stick and then place panko crusted chicken on top.
- Place top half of pretzel stick on top of chicken and serve either whole or halved.