This is delish! Plantain ricotta toast makes for a great breakfast or brunch. Earlier this week I wanted to raise a glass to Martin Luther King on MLK Day, but as I am on the wagon for the month of January, I couldn’t raise a glass with something bubbly, so I made plantain ricotta toast for brunch instead.
I used crusty Italian bread and 12 grain bread, toasted each slice, slathered them with ricotta and then added crispy fried plantain slices, and then finally, drizzled with honey. Yum – right? I cannot begin to explain how satisfying this is, it really hit the spot. The next time I have guests for brunch, this will definitely be on the menu, perhaps paired with a coconut punch. A tropical paradise themed brunch – what a good idea!
The inspiration to make plantain ricotta toast on MLK day came from my visit to Eataly NY a few days prior. My dining buddy and niece, Jasmine and I fought our way through the crowd at La Piazza, found ourselves two chairs and a table which we shared with a man with riotous wit and his, what appeared to be, new lady friend. We ate our way through a sizeable charcuterie and cheese board and one of the cheeses was a delightful ricotta. I smeared this wonderful example of a light fluffy cheese on a piece of bread and topped it with honey and almonds and sunk my teeth into what tasted like heaven. The fact that I haven’t had ricotta in so long might be the reason why I found myself going back for more and more. Oh I was happy.
The past weekend was a bit of an indulgence but I do see plantain ricotta toast raising its sweet tasty head again in the not too distant future. Join me and make some for yourself.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 plantains (sliced)
- 2 cups ricotta
- 8 slices bread
- 8 x 1 tsp honey
- Skillet or fry pan
- Heat oil in pan.
- Carefully place plantain slices into hot oil and fry until golden and, if possible, crispy on either side. If your plantains are very sweet the sugar will begin to caramelize and become crispy.
- Once plantain slices are fried place them on paper towels to drain.
- Toast bread and then place two slices of bread on each plate.
- Smear each slice of toast with 1/4 cup of ricotta.
- Top with plantain slices and then drizzle each slice of toast with 1 tsp of honey