How about pork belly and pico de gallo for Cinco de Mayo?
Since my visit to Chef Roble’s restaurant, Streets in Williamsburg, Brooklyn last month, where I had the most amazing adobo chicharrones, I’ve wanted to do something with pork belly. So I’m really excited to share this recipe with you. This is a spicy recipe, the adobo peppers with chipotle sauce in the marinade for the pork really packs a punch, so if this is too much heat for you, you can temper the spiciness by adding a tablespoon of agave to the marinade. If you are a real heat lover then you should add a sliced jalapeno to the pico de gallo.
A good accompaniment to this pork belly and pico de gallo would be rice, or you can slice the pork belly and stuff it and the pico de gallo into tortillas – a fantastic taco and will be a real crowd pleaser for pork lovers.
Cinco de Mayo is hardly the time to watch calorie intake so indulge and recreate my pork belly recipe.
- 12oz - 1lb pork belly
- 1/2 cup adobo peppers with chipotle sauce
- 1/4 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp kosher or coarse ground salt
- 2 large Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup of corn
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1/4 tsp of kosher or coarse ground salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place adobo with chipotle sauce, oregano, cumin, garlic and salt into a blender and pulse until ingredients create a paste.
- Season pork belly with paste and then place in an air tight container and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours, overnight is preferable.
- Once meat has absorbed the flavors of the marinade, transfer to a roasting tin and cover with foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 1 hour.
- Once the pork belly is cooked, remove the foil and raise the temperature in the oven to 425 and cook for a further 15-20 mins.
- Remove from the oven once the pork belly is browned just enough before the skin becomes crispy.
- Let the pork belly rest while you create your pico de gallo.
- Place tomatoes, corn, onion and cilantro in a bowl.
- Add lime juice and season with salt.
- Mix thoroughly and serve