While cruising the many food porn sites I seemed to regularly come across pictures of pull apart bread. What a fantastic idea, a dense crusty bread smothered in butter, garlic and cheese. So I gave it a try, and here’s my effort.
Yum, how easy is this little gem. You just find a nice loaf, cut it into sections, fill the gaps with cheese, butter, garlic and voila!
This recipe can be refrigerated or frozen and saved for another occasion. Make sure you wrap it well and place into a well-sealed bag or container.
- 1 crusty loaf of bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- With a bread knife slice your loaf into a grid, making sure not to slice the loaf all the way through to the bottom.
- For a diamond shaped grid, slice your loaf diagonally towards the left and then turn the loaf 180 degrees then repeat.
- Lay out a couple of large sheets of aluminum foil on a baking sheet, enough to completely wrap your loaf of bread, then set your it aside while you prepare the filing.
- Melt the butter and then add the garlic and salt.
- Mix and then use a small tablespoon to pour a small amount of the butter mixture into each section.
- Grabbing a small handful at a time, push the grated mozzarella into each section also, it takes a little time, but it will be worth it.
- Once you have added all of the butter mixture and cheese, wrap the bread in the aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven at 350.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes and then remove foil and unwrap bread and then cook for a further 5 mins until the bread is crispy and golden brown.
- Sprinkle your completed pull apart bread with basil.
- Feel free to experiment and take the recipe further by adding bacon or mushrooms, or anything that pairs well with bread and cheese. You can also half the quantity of mozzarella and replace with your favorite cheese.