The days of over-indulgence during the holidays has passed and there are many of us who plan on eating more healthily. This quinoa breakfast bowl, made simply of quinoa, parmesan, asparagus, grape tomatoes and topped with a fried egg, is just the trick. Adding this dish to your weekly breakfast regimen will set you on the path to a more calorie-conscious diet, but fear not, it is not lacking in taste.
Quinoa for breakfast is a great idea it is a nourishing and filling first meal of the day and will keep you satisfied until lunchtime.
I kept the recipe to this quinoa breakfast bowl simple, no need for onion or garlic. Instead, I made sure to use very fresh vegetables. Your tomatoes should be firm and sweet, and the asparagus stems, although sautéed, should still retain their bite. The crisp freshness of the vegetables will be satisfying and will keep the cravings for some other crunchy but less healthy options at bay. I should also mention that this dish is gluten-free and meat-free, thus a great start to a meatless diet, whether you are vegetarian or simply meat-free for the day.
It goes without saying that this quinoa breakfast bowl will provide the fuel you need for a morning workout. If you prefer, you can replace the fried egg with a boiled egg, but either option will give you the energy you need to start your day out right.
I take my hat off to you if your regimen includes a morning workout. I have never been able to incorporate exercise into my mornings, I just cannot muster the energy required to lift my head from my pillow, don some spandex and a t-shirt and exert myself before 11am, I just can’t. My workouts usually take place at the end of the day, usually just before my last meal. After my workout I experience a bout of euphoria from the release of endorphins, but then suffer a slump an hour or two later, finding it difficult to drag myself from the sofa. I’m not the fittest of the bunch that’s for sure, but I plan on developing my stamina and fitness during the run up to spring, and if you do too, don’t forget to try my quinoa breakfast bowl for some fuel.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 16 asparagus stems
- 3 cups grape tomatoes
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup parmesan finely shredded
- 4 large eggs
Equipment and Utensils
- Medium-sized pan with cover
- Sauté pan
- Thoroughly wash quinoa using a sieve, and shake to drain.
- Tip quinoa into a medium-sized pan and set aside.
- Boil water and then tip over quinoa, add salt, and place on high heat.
- Once water begins to boil, lower to a simmer and cover.
- Cook until the water has fully absorbed (approx. 15 mins).
- While quinoa is cooking, wash and trim asparagus and sauté in a pan with a little oil.
- Do not overcook the asparagus, your stems should retain its deep green color and should still snap when you break them.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Drizzle asparagus and tomatoes with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once quinoa is cooked fork through quinoa to separate and then mix with parmesan.
Assemble Quinoa Bowls
- Heap quinoa mixture into one side of your bowls.
- Layer 4 asparagus stems with the heads of the stems resting on the quinoa in each bowl.
- Fill the available space in your bowls with tomato halves.
- Set bowls aside while you fry your eggs, and place one egg on top of your ingredients in each bowl.
- Serve with juice mixed with sparkling water.