Roast half leg of lamb is the perfect dish for two. A 3lb roasted meat dish seasoned just enough to complement it’s flavors.
Good glory, I love a slice or two of lamb. Straight out of the oven, that’s how it has to be for me. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have stood up in the kitchen, shoving freshly cut pieces of lamb down my gullet. I should be ashamed of myself, but the taste of lamb wins out!
Roast half leg of lamb is one of my go to date meals. Many of my many suitors have had the pleasure of my roast half leg of lamb. I always keep it simple, just rosemary, garlic, lemon zest, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper. As soon as the heat begins to penetrate the meat, an overwhelming aroma emanates, and if my suitor is easily coerced by food, as so many are, then it’s a slam dunk for me, and I win their heart.
If you’re in a relatively new relationship and haven’t found the opportunity to share your skills in the kitchen, I would definitely suggest you give this recipe a try, it’s bound to impress your new boo. Just serve with a tasty side dish. See suggestions below for side dish options.
- Leek and Potato Bake
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes and Shallots
- Simple Mashed Potatoes
- Herb Rice
You will notice this recipe asks for coarse kosher salt. Ordinarily, I am not a stickler for what type of salt to use, whatever makes you happy, I love it. But for this recipe, coarse kosher salt is a must, once you bite into a slice of roast half leg of lamb, you will know why.
If Easter isn’t a time for celebrating in your household, there will be many other opportunities to share this recipe with your family and friends. Just save it for that moment and prepare yourself for much praise.
Roast Half Leg of Lamb
- 3 lb half leg of lamb bone in
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary removed from stems
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- Generous pinch of ground black pepper
Equipment & Utensils
- Roasting tin with wire rack
- Remove excess fat from lamb, rinse with water to clean and pat dry with paper towel.
- Pierce broadest side of meat joint multiple times with sharp knife.
- Place rosemary, lemon zest, garlic and olive oil into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture all over meat joint on all sides.
- Sprinkle salt all over meat joint on all sides, then sprinkle broad side of meat joint with black pepper.
- Place lamb in on top of wire rack inside roasting tin, broadest side face up, and place in preheated oven at 380.
- Cook until medium well for 2 hours, or 1 1/2 hours for medium.
- Allow to Lamb to rest for 8-10 mins before carving into slices.