I love an appetizer or canapé that provides a really interesting opener to a meal or cocktail party. Something that requires little effort, saving your culinary strengths for the main course or more complex bites. Spinach bacon strawberry crostini ticks all those boxes, and because of its mix of meat and fruit, never fails to surprise those who are lucky enough to get a taste.
As I mentioned, this is a really easy dish to create. Spinach and crispy bacon are doused in a simple balsamic dressing then placed on toasted or grilled slices of bread, then crowned with a halved strawberry, and finished off with generous drizzles of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze. Totally yummy.
If you have a family, this is a good one for the kids. Imagine how much fun they will have piling the ingredients on top of one another, at home or at a kids party. You might even be lucky enough to see the birth of a budding chef, perhaps.
My brother was the first to introduce me to combining strawberries with bacon and spinach many years ago. I remember being very reluctant to give it a try, but my oh my, once I did I was sold. He watched me take my first bite, and gave me his signature crooked smile when he saw the glee in my eyes.
If your guests have never tried spinach bacon strawberry crostini before, it will be a real conversation starter. No one is ready for how great this tastes. So prepare for the accolades you will receive once you serve this dish.
Do your best to buy large strawberries, it gives great effect.
30 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 6 oz bacon
- 1 baguette
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp agave
- 3 cups (approx. 12 oz -14 oz) strawberries (cored and halved)
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- Drizzle balsamic glaze
- Large bowl
- Large platter, possibly two
- Cook bacon until crispy, then allow to drain on paper towels.
- Slice baguette into at least. 1/4" thick slices and then toast or grill and set aside.
- Place spinach in bowl then crumble bacon on top.
- In a small pitcher combine vinegar, lime juice and agave and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour dressing on top of spinach and bacon then toss.
- Arrange bread on platter(s) then top with spinach and bacon mixture.
- Place at least one half of a strawberry on top of each crostini.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze and serve immediately.