It’s important to eat your greens, but the cold weather in New York calls for something warming and comforting. So here’s a compromise that will keep you on the plus side of the healthy eating scale. Spinach soup, drizzled with white truffle oil and topped with apple chips.
Feel free to use any fruit or vegetable chips you desire, although apple chips are really nice with this soup. I will share my apple chips recipe with you very soon.
This spinach soup is very much like a glass of green juice – spinach, celery, leek, parsley, and apple, and to get that tastiness we expect from soups, I added butter and chicken stock. Spinach soup is a must and this lovely example is appropriate no matter the climate, its light, yet very satisfying.
This soup sanctifies my soul, it makes me feel that I am conducting myself responsibly, with care (well, mostly). Once finished, I feel energized, not because of the effects of the ingredients consumed, but due to making the right choice food choice. After choosing to have a bowl of spinach soup over something less nourishing, I become more thoughtful, my thoughts have more clarity. That’s what eating tasty and healthy food does for me. I find myself in that sweet spot. I am that beautiful person, who does well by her body and benefits from the results.
We have to look after our bodies as best we can, and going for that healthier meal option shouldn’t be a chore, it should be tasty, and a pleasure to your senses. I’m hoping this spinach soup becomes a classic antidote for over-indulgence or providing a route back on track to a more balanced diet. What do you think? Is it possible?
You will find this spinach soup not only satisfying, but also totally wholesome. It’s a great healthy option to work into your weekly meals. You’ve got to try it.
- 8 celery stalks (cut into 1/2 inch slices)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 leeks (sliced - white part only)
- Bunch parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 20 oz spinach
- 8 cups (64 fl oz) chicken or vegetable stock
- Drizzle white truffle oil
- Fruit or vegetable chips
- Large saucepan with cover
- Heat butter in saucepan on high heat and then add celery.
- Sauté for one minute, then lower heat and simmer for approx. 5 minutes until celery softens.
- Raise heat to a medium heat and the add leaks and sauté until they soften.
- Add parsley and sauté until wilted.
- Add salt and pepper and sauté.
- Add spinach in batches (approx. 6) sauté and allow to wilt before adding the next batch.
- Once spinach has been added, pour in stock and gently mix until ingredients are completely combined.
- Puree ingredients using a conventional blender, or if you have one, you can use a hand blender in the saucepan.
- Once your ingredients are pureed, return to the saucepan and heat through.
- Serve each bowl of soup with a drizzle of white truffle oil and a fruit or vegetable chip.