Today’s recipe is a toasted coconut rice recipe. It’s an awesome side dish which works so nicely with spicy meat dishes and fish. I served this rice recently with a Thai-inspired stewed chicken, it was so good. My friend was visiting, a male “friend”, and he shared the meal with me. I thought he might balk at the idea of toasted coconut rice, but he loved it, so I took a bow, and now feel comfortable that you will love it too.
All you need to recreate this dish is, white rice, coconut milk, water and coconut flakes, oh and some salt, of course. Just a few ingredients to make a truly tasty side dish.
You’ve got to give this recipe a try, it’s super easy and wonderfully tasty, and doesn’t it look beautiful?
If you have someone in your family that really loves rice, this will be a really nice alternative to plain rice, or rice and beans. The coconut milk penetrates the rice grains and combined with toasted coconut flakes you get this interesting mouthful that wakes up the palate.
Toasted coconut rice, is a great dinner party dish. It’s tasty, good-looking and a twist on something traditional. Try this recipe the next time you have guests you want to wow – this will do the job for sure.
This toasted coconut rice recipe is inspired by a meal I had at RIU Palace Jamaica. They served coconut rice with a wonderfully tasty miso sea bass. I wanted to lick my plate clean, it was a gorgeous meal. I resisted, and instead vowed to share a coconut rice recipe with you, so here it is…
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 lb white rice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 x 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Medium saucepan with cover
- Medium baking tray
- Wash rice and drain, then transfer to saucepan.
- Add coconut milk, 1 cup of hot water and salt.
- Stir to combine ingredients then place on high heat
- Allow to cook until liquid begins to bubble, then lower to medium heat.
- Allow rice to cook for approx. 5 mins, then check to see whether liquid has begun to evaporate.
- Once the liquid has evaporated so that you can no longer see it above the rice, add the other cup of hot water, then cover and lower heat to simmer.
- Allow rice to cook, after approx. 5-7 mins, check doneness with a fork.
- The final result should be fluffy rice and at that point remove from heat and set aside.
- Scatter coconut flakes onto a baking tray, then place in a preheated oven at 375.
- Allow coconut flakes to become golden.
- You will need to keep an eye on the coconut flakes as this will happen quickly and you will need to toss the flakes to get them golden on both sides.
- Transfer rice to a serving bowl and then top with toasted coconut flakes.
- Serve immediately.