Who knew Vegan Hot Chocolate could taste so good? This is another new recipe for me and I love it!
This Vegan Hot Chocolate is so rich, I used barista blend almond milk to get that creamy consistency. Oh my, it’s so good. I also added some ground cardamom and cloves to add a flavor layer that could stand up against the chocolate, sugar and marshmallows. Once combined the result is a rich, chocolatey beverage worthy of a swoon.
I have a confession to make. I became so excited about my mugs of Vegan Hot Chocolate that I added chocolate covered Crispy Crepes. Now clearly, the Crispy Crepes are not vegan, so if you are, please pretend you didn’t see this!
Thankfully the rest of the ingredients are vegan, including the marshmallows, they’re Dandies, and very tasty too.
If you’re not sure of which sugars are vegan, veganproducts.org can help you. Also a great resource for vegan products generally.
This Vegan Hot Chocolate is for everyone. I didn’t add any liquor as I want this recipe to be family friendly. Imagine you and your family sitting together sharing this comforting beverage and your favorite family stories from years ago. Hot chocolate is a family-time beverage, don’t stop at adding marshmallows, make it your own, just as I did. Remember though, keep it vegan for those on a strict vegan diet.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 5 cups barista blend almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegan cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground cardamom
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate (finely chopped)
- 1-2 tbsp raw sugar
- Small/Medium saucepan
- Pour almond milk into saucepan and place on medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk.
- Add salt, cardamom and cloves. Just a pinch.
- Taste chocolatey milk to make sure the cardamom and cloves can be identified by the tongue - the flavors should be subtle. If needed add a touch more.
- Add dark chocolate and whisk, then add sugar.
- Whisk ingredients thoroughly until you create a layer of froth, then pour into mugs.
- Top with marshmallows and serve immediately.