We’re in peak season for zucchini folks. Time to make some zucchini bread and I have a great recipe for you to try, Zucchini Bread with Walnuts. It is delicious. I’ve had two slices today and the rest is calling me. I hope Fanci Fantastic hasn’t cut another slice! Her first word was “mmmmmm” when she bit into it earlier, so I’m a little worried it won’t make it through the day. Pray for us folks.
I have been eating zucchini every day for the past two weeks.
- Morning green juice
- Lunchtime salad
- Side dish for dinner
It’s been great, I bought 6 very large zucchini for less than $5. That’s a whole lot of zucchini let me tell you. This recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini, just a small portion of my batch of zucchini.
To make sure the zucchini bread was moist, I used coconut oil. I always use coconut oil in dense baked goods and I usually use refined coconut oil to avoid that coconut taste and scent. Feel free to use unrefined if that is your preference.
This Zucchini Bread with Walnuts isn’t going to make it through the day to be honest. It’s moist, yet crumbly and so flavorful. What is a gal supposed to do? So far, it has served as a night time soother and a coffee morning treat. I know it’s totally irresponsible and unkind to the waistline, but heck, I’m stuck in the house with the darn thing.
If like me, you are still social distancing and can’t decide on a new baking project. Zucchini Bread with Walnuts is a great way to hone your baking skills. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.
- 2 1/2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Remove excess water from zucchini by enveloping a large handful of shredded zucchini in a strong paper towel or cheesecloth and squeeze until most of the water is released. You might need to do this a couple of times for each handful.
- Beat eggs with hand mixer, then add white and brown sugar and vanilla extract and continue to mix until combined.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Fold 1/3 of the flour mixture with 1/3 of the coconut oil into the egg mixture.
- Repeat until the flour mixture and oil is combined.
- Mix together zucchini, walnuts and lemon zest and then scatter into cake mixture and methodically fold in until it is uniformly studded with the zucchini, walnuts and lemon zest.
- Tip cake mixture into parchment paper lined loaf tin and gently shake until mixture is level.
- Place in a preheated oven at 380 until you are able to push a skewer into the cake and remove it without dragging out any cake mixture - approx. 1 hour.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before cutting and serving.
Removing excess fluid from zucchini - you'll need to remove the excess water from the zucchini in batches and if using paper towels, you will likely need many sheets to complete the process. Don't skimp, you need to remove the excess fluid otherwise it will release in the zucchini bread.