Pizza for breakfast is quite new for me. Can you handle a Bacon and Egg Pizza in the morning? I imagine that might be a tall order during the week, but for brunch, on the weekend, this might just be what the doctor ordered!
A thin crust with a cheese and tomato base, strips of thick cut bacon and soft egg on top. Yum – am I right?!
I used a frozen pizza dough. It’s breakfast, I need to keep it as simple as possible and I recommend you do the same. I used a wheat dough, but there are some great options out there if you’re looking for gluten free.
I always make my own tomato sauce, a very simple sauce and just enough for one 12 inch pizza. I’m not a fan of pre-made tomato sauce as it almost always includes sugar. I prefer to substitute sugar with a high density balsamic vinegar. You get a touch of sweetness from the balsamic vinegar, but it also provides another dimension in flavor. My go to balsamic vinegar has a density of 1.32. It’s on the pricier scale at that density, but you can opt for a vinegar of lesser density to trim cost. I should point out that you will be trading sweetness too.
Folks, this is a tasty pizza. Can you imagine surprising your kids with this when they wake up? You’d be the hero of the day for sure. If you’re still playing it safe and stuck indoors with your family, this would also make for a great project with the kids. You could make two or three and make it a feast.
Now if you’re serving Bacon and Egg Pizza to grown folk for brunch, don’t forget the libation. I served mine with low ABV sweet cider, goes down just like wine. Prosecco, Mimosas or a Rosé are also great options too.
Bacon and Egg Pizza
- 2 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups thick cut bacon cut into thin 1/4 inch strips
- Handful of cornstarch or flour
- 8 oz frozen pizza dough
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Follow directions for thawing pizza dough and once thawed remove from fridge and allow it to rise to room temperature (approx. 30 minutes)
- Place canned tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar garlic powder and basil into a small saucepan and place on a high heat.
- Stir to combine ingredients until it begins to bubble, then lower heat to medium and continue to stir for 5-10 mins to allow flavors to combine.
- Add a pinch of salt, according to taste.
- Taste test your sauce to ensure you have the right balance, add a little more of any ingredient to adjust to palate.
- Give the sauce a final stir for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Blend sauce with hand held blender to create a smooth sauce consistency and set aside to allow to cool. If you don't have a hand held blender, transfer to a counter top blender and blend on a medium speed until smooth.
- Scatter bacon on a parchment lined cooking tray and place in a preheated oven at 400.
- Allow bacon to cook but not brown and remove from the oven.
- Turn oven up to 500.
- Scoop bacon up with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate and allow excess oil to drain away.
- Once tomato sauce is cooled scatter cornmeal or flour onto a clean and dry surface to roll out your pizza dough.
- Carefully roll out dough until you have it at approx. 12 inches in diameter, then place on a pizza stone or parchment lined cooking tray and brush pizza dough with olive oil.
- With a spoon spread the tomato sauce onto the pizza base, leaving approx. 1 inch of crust tomato sauce free around the edge.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle Bacon in a cross or X formation, to create four bacon-free areas for the eggs to be placed.
- For wheat pizza dough lower oven to 475 and place pizza into the oven. Check packaging for cooking instructions and use judgment.
- Cook until edge of pizza is light golden in color and remove from oven.
- Set oven to broil on a high heat.
- Carefully crack eggs onto pizza, being careful not to break the yokes, into the bacon-free areas.
- Return to oven until whites of eggs are cooked then remove from oven.
- Allow to rest for 2 minutes then serve.