Roasted potatoes and shallots are easy to create and will simplify your Sunday dinners. Just season them with salt and herbs, drizzle with olive oil and pop them in the oven, and let the heat do the work. These roasted potatoes and shallots will take some of the stress out of creating a celebration dinner and allow you to concentrate on a sexy meat, fish or vegetable dish that will wow your guests.
It’s so hard to create a really tasty dish to share with you, plate it and the shoot it without eating it. That goes double here as I do enjoy a tasty spud (spud – colloquialism for potato in England). I ate so many that I had to cook some more for my guests that evening. The crispy crunchiness of the potatoes with the sweet squishiness of the shallots are a pleasure to the tastebuds, truly smile evoking.
I left the skins on the potatoes as I like to keep as much of the nutrients in a meal as I can, but if you want uber crispy potatoes, you should peel them to expose more of the starchy elements of the potatoes.
I’m eager to hear how my recipes work out for you, so give this one a try and let me know.
- 1 1/2 lb gold potatoes
- 8 shallots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground salt
- Large Saucepan
- Roasting Pan
- Thoroughly wash potatoes and then cut each potato into 4 or 6 pieces dependent upon size of potato. Leave skin on.
- Place cut potatoes into a large saucepan and cover potatoes with 6-8 cups of water.
- Place on high heat to boil and then lower heat to vigorous simmer.
- Cover potatoes and cook for 8-10 mins.
- Once potatoes are cooked to fork prick soft, but not too soft that the potatoes fall apart, drain water from potatoes by pouring potatoes into a colander.
- Once water has drained from potatoes, shake potatoes around in the colander just to bruise them a little. This will help to add to the crispiness of the potatoes during roasting.
- Peel shallots, halved them and then cut them again into quarters.
- Place potatoes and shallots in a roasting pan.
- Remove rosemary from stalks and sprinkle rosemary and then salt over potatoes and shallots and then drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in preheated oven at 425 on the lower rung.
- Bake for 40 mins, turning occasionally until potatoes are crispy and shallots are soft.
- Serve as desired.