Crispy tarragon chicken is so easy to make, you just season your chicken quarters, place them on top of the herbs and garlic, and then shove it in the oven with your favorite root vegetables.
I really enjoy baked chicken with root vegetables on a Sunday. It’s a wholesome meal that feels like a treat, especially if I add roasted potatoes with shallots. It reminds me of family meals at home when I was young. Our Sunday dinners were always an event. Tablecloth over the table, a nice wine, and dinner on our casual dinnerware. We had fancier dinnerware for special guests and holidays. Sunday dinners were my favorite meal at home. My mother did most of the heavy lifting to get the meal on the table, but I was always given charge of one dish.
I also like to make baked chicken on a weeknight. I love it with a cucumber salad or broccoli, or cauliflower. A meal that can be made in an hour, mostly unattended, low in calories and high in flavor.
Crispy tarragon chicken has great flavor. Tarragon has such a distinctive taste much like anise. I am not sure if there is any correlation between the two, but I do know that tarragon, even when cooked, can add great benefits to the diet. Tarragon aids digestion, stimulates the appetite, and among other things relieves anxiety and stress. Great reasons to add some tarragon to your meals.
- 2 chicken quarters with skin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon (removed from stalks)
- 4-6 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 12" skillet
- Season chicken quarters with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to skillet and heat.
- Once the oil is nice and hot, add garlic and tarragon.
- Sauté until flavors begin to release (approx. 1 min), then remove from heat.
- Place chicken quarters on top of garlic and tarragon
- Add root vegetables placing them around the chicken quarters, prepared as appropriate and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Place in a preheated oven at 375 and cook for 60 minutes or until chicken is crispy and golden brown.