Heavy hors d’oeuvres are a welcome addition to a holiday party. So if you’re in the party mood and in need of a dish that can hold up to an abundant supply of cocktails try Smoky Bacon Wrapped Chicken.
When serving Smoky Bacon Wrapped Chicken as an hors d’oeuvre you should serve it in individual plates with a fork. This is a hearty dish to serve with cocktails, so if you like, slice each piece to make it easier to enjoy unencumbered.
The vital ingredient to get that smoky taste is guajillo chilies. A popular mild and flavorful Mexican dried chili, you should be able to find them in your local grocery store. If you do have trouble finding some, you will certainly be able to get them online.
Parsley, honey, paprika, garlic and onion granules and salt are added to the guajillo chilies to make a paste and then brushed over the chicken thighs. All that is left to do is to wrap the chicken thighs in thick cut bacon and place in the oven. It’s that simple.
I used pork bacon, but you can use any type of bacon. Whichever bacon you use make sure it’s thick cut. Thick bacon will stand up to the heat and serve as a blanket for the chicken keeping it nice and moist.
No plans for a party anytime soon? Well, fear not, Smoky Bacon Wrapped Chicken is great as a main dish too. See below for suggested side dishes.
Regardless of how you serve this dish the final result will be great. This is a stress free dish. All you have to do is follow the simple instructions and enjoy.
20 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2 guajillo chilies
- 1/4 packed cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp onion granules
- 1tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 1/2 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 6-8 slices bacon
- Roasting pan with rack
- To rehydrate guajillo chilies soak them in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Place chilies, parsley and water in blender and blend on high until minced.
- Tip chili mixture into a bowl and add honey, garlic and onion granules, paprika and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Brush chili mixture over chicken on all sides.
- Wrap each slice of bacon around each chicken thigh. Use toothpicks to secure the bacon if necessary.
- Place the bacon wrapped chicken on the rack in a roasting pan and place on a preheated oven at 420 and cook for approx. 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from oven when the juices from the chicken runs clear
- If needed, finish off under the broiler to crisp the bacon.
- Serve sliced or whole.