I love potatoes and when I’m not chomping down on some Yukon Golds I like to mix it up a little. Just like today’s recipe, Roasted Smashed Potatoes, a medley of fingerling potatoes roasted with garlic and finished off with feta cheese.
Roasted Smashed Potatoes are so tasty, the feta cheese adds a really nice flavor. You can eat them as part of a meal or just as is, with a dip perhaps. How you choose to eat them is totally up to you.
I used what is called peewee potatoes, they’re round small fingerling potatoes. I was able to get a couple of mixed bags with purple, red and yellow peewees. They’re so cool looking, the flesh is the same color as the skins. I also added some regular fingerling potatoes too. Mixing up the varieties of potatoes makes for a nice touch. They look good all mixed up together, and the subtle difference in flavor profiles makes this dish rather interesting to eat.
Smashing the potatoes creates roughened edges that will crisp once roasted, and with the cheese melting on top you have a winning combo. The garlic melds well with the cheese as it is roasted and then grated over the potatoes. I went light on the cheese, but don’t be afraid to add more if you prefer.
Roasted Smashed Potatoes are a great dish anytime of the year, but I love them with a roast. So why not add this recipe to your holiday dinner menu? This recipe will not apply pressure on the chef, it’s just a few steps to a delightful side dish.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 5 lb fingerling and/or bite size potatoes
- 12 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Generous drizzle olive oil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Large saucepan
- Potato masher
- Parchment paper
- Large baking tray
- Wash potatoes and then place in a saucepan. No peeling or cutting necessary.
- Add water to cover the potatoes then add a pinch of salt.
- Place on a high heat and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain potatoes then place on a chopping board and smash with a potato masher. Just once will do.
- Place potatoes on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Add garlic cloves in between the potatoes, wherever you like.
- Give a generous drizzle of olive oil over the potatoes and garlic then place in a preheated oven at 450.
- After 10-15 remove the potatoes, the garlic should've roasted to a soft texture..
- Remove garlic cloves and let them cool for a couple of minutes, then grate them over the potatoes. You might have to remove the garlic from the inside of the grater and scatter over the potatoes a couple of times.
- Return potatoes to the oven for a further 15-20 mins.
- Once the edges of the potatoes begin to crisp remove from the oven and transfer to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle feta over potatoes and serve immediately.