Don’t you love short ribs? They are so satisfying they make me smile.
When I’m out socializing I often order a side of short ribs with fries and marvel over the taste. I’m sorry, its been a while since I had some short ribs, so I’m all kinds of excited.
I’ve created Asian-style short ribs today, they have a real smoky taste, and I would say they are nurtured rather than just simply cooked. The ingredients are an important part of this recipe, but the way in which you plate your short ribs will be the big seller to the lucky folks invited to eat them. So pile them high and make them look interesting.
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- A further 1/2 cup of honey for sauce
- Wash short ribs to make sure bone dust is eliminated, and dry with off with a paper towel. Remove as much of the water as you can.
- Place short ribs in a bowl with a cover or use cling wrap when ready.
- Mix sesame oil, whole grain mustard, soy sauce, honey and garlic together and then pour over short ribs. Make sure short ribs are completely covered.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over short ribs and then cover and place short ribs in the fridge overnight.
- When you are ready to cook your short ribs place them with the marinade in a shallow baking pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place them in a preheated oven on 375 and cook for 2 hours.
- Once 2 hours has passed, check your short ribs, they should've started to soften. If your short ribs are on the bone, they should've started to shrink away from the bone. You can remove the bones if you wish at this point.
- Your short ribs should've yielded a generous amount of juice, turn the meat so that the other side of the short ribs in sitting in the juices. Cover once more and cook for another hour or so until you are able to pull a piece of the meat away easily with a fork.
- Once your short ribs are nice and tender, drain the juice into a small saucepan and place on high heat until boiling, add a further 1/2 cup of honey and lower to a simmer and reduce your sauce by 25%.
- Once sauce is complete, plate short ribs, pour sauce over short ribs and serve.
- If you like a kick to your short ribs you can top with sliced chillies or add a tsp of crushed red peppers to your sauce.