On my quest for a more disciplined life, I’ve injected a twice weekly detox juice into my diet. A juice that helps release the toxins from my body and also work on my wavering digestive system. Strangely, this juice derived from a request from my friend Trevor, for a ginger cucumber juice with pimento. He wanted me to make him a sweet and spicy concoction with a mound of sugar. Don’t worry I resisted, I just couldn’t create a sickly sweet drink and hail it as a juice that provides benefit to the body. So here’s what I ended up with, a ginger cucumber apple detox juice. It is exactly what I need, a gloriously tasty juice that aids the body, hopefully Trevor will love it too.
I’ve had juices with a spicy kick before, but those had a more severe spiciness. I’m sure you have too, the cayenne lemon cleanse for instance. Once I had this awful spiced garlic beet juice that apparently helps with blood pressure – awful. But I’ve never had a drink with a spicy kick that tastes delicious. I’m so happy right now, this juice is it!
As you can see from the pic above the spicy kick in this ginger cucumber apple detox juice is allspice, or as many would call it, pimento. All you need is a pinch, and its addition really rounds out the taste of this wonderful juice. If you make this juice ahead of time, a night before you plan on drinking it, the allspice will apply a more intense flavor which is so good. The color of the juice will become a little dull, but I think it’s a fair trade off.
Don’t waste any time, check out the recipe below and make your very own ginger cucumber apple detox juice. Sit down and enjoy the flavors and then move on with your day.
- Fresh ginger (approx. 3.5 " x 1.5" in size)
- 1 greenhouse cucumber
- 3 apples (cored)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground allspice
- Equipment & Utensils
- Peel ginger and wash cucumber thoroughly.
- Cut up ginger, cucumber and apples into appropriate sizes to fit into your juicer opening.
- Juice ginger, cucumber and apples pieces, alternate ingredients when placing into juicer, it helps to push the fruit and veg through more successfully.
- Once all fruit and veg is juiced, strainer into a jug.
- To serve, pour juice into glasses and garnish with allspice