January is the month when we all take better care of ourselves and food plays a big part in that, so here’s a recipe to keep you on track. Kale Avocado Toast with Egg, a brain power breakfast to set you up right for the day. It’s a simple recipe, lightly toasted multigrain bread, baby kale and sliced avocado mixed together in a vinaigrette and topped with slices of boiled egg.
Why is Kale Avocado Toast with Egg a brain power food, do I hear you say? Well, kale and avocado are great sources of nutrients that feed and protect the brain.
Vitamin A and K are important in feeding our brains and kale has more nutrients, including vitamin A and K, per ounce than almost any other food. One cup of kale provides over 100% of the daily requirement of vitamin A and K that our body needs.
Fortifying our cognitive skills is good for the brain and absorbing vitamin A increases cognitive skills, which is essential to warding off Alzheimer’s disease. Conversely, people with Alzheimer’s disease have low cognitive skills.
Vitamin K aids blood-clotting which is important to prevent excessive bleeding. Excessive bleeding can result in a lack of oxygen to the brain which will severely hinder cognitive skills.
These examples only scratch the surface of the health benefits kale can provide. However, the use of pesticides can hamper those benefits, so whenever possible choose organic kale.
Avocados are no slouch either, the oleic acid in avocados help build myelin, a combination of mostly fat and cholesterol, which promotes dexterity of the brain.
So do your brain a favor and start your day with Kale Avocado Toast with Egg sometime soon and get a great jumpstart to your day.
Kale Avocado Toast with Egg
- 4 eggs
- 1 large hass avocado
- 2 cups organic baby kale
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil + extra to drizzle
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- Fine salt and fresh ground black pepper as needed.
Equipment & Utensils
- Medium saucepan
- 2 plates to serve
- Boil eggs in saucepan to desired hardness, then drain, peel, slice and set aside.
- Peel and slice avocado and place in a bowl.
- Add kale, vinegar and olive oil and toss to combine, then set aside.
- Toast bread, then place two slices on each plate.
- Top bread with kale and avocado mixture, then add sliced egg.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.